Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Top of Utah:


So, I assigned Curt to do this, but he's been too busy. So, we went to hike King's Peak as the last weekend jaunt of the summer, the weekend before school started. It is the tallest peak in Utah. I don't remember how high it is, if you really want to know you could probably google it or call Curt.

It was a three day thing. We went with Curt's brother Chad and his wife Wendi. We drove up to the trailhead on a Wednesday night and just camped at the base. Then, the next day we backpacked up about ten miles and put down stakes for the night. It was really windy and cold that night. Curt made me sleep in just my garments, I had no idea that it would be warmer like that, supposedly because then your body has to heat through less clotheswise, so it is warmer and more effcient?? We also had some of those little hottie things, which helped a lot.

The next morning we got up early and summited. It was bouldering a lot if not the majority of the way and it got hard to go for long periods without stopping to rest because it was high. At the top, we ate lunch--MRE's, but just the main entree part. I also took a short nap, as shown in the picture below. Then we went back down to our base camp. We saw a moose, which was cool and then packed up and hiked more to a lake and woods for the last night. It was much warmer in the woods, good wind protection.

The third day we started out by hiking to these very small waterfalls through some swampy stuff and then just the remainder of the way back to the car. My feet got totally soaked going through the marsh, and so by the time we got there, I had some really good blisters on the insides of both my feet on the big toe side. I was just glad they made their appearance in the last few miles of the journey rather than the first day!! Overall it was a thirty mile hiking trip. None of us got giardia, which is good. We had to filter and then put iodine tablets in all of our water. It tasted weird, but did the trick. Anyway, so now I am a tough girl. Maybe. You'll have to ask Curt and see what he says.



Me navigating the boulders.

Above: Curt and me at the top.

Below: Taking a nap at the top.

Chad and Wendi climbing up or down the mountain. They are towards the left and hard to see.

3 comments:

Katie Kennington said...

Wow Stella, you are a mountain woman! You look so cute taking your little nap on the mountain. I am sure Curt is so proud of his awesome wife. We miss you guys tons and tons. Hope school and work are going well.

Liz and Scott said...

I am so impressed that you did the hike. I think the nap at the top was well-deserved!!

Gimsbacher Runners said...

What a trip, he has turned you into a tough girl! Love all the pictures you both look so cute.